Welcome to the Classroom Blog

23 Things--Creating a Blog
Tell me your thoughts!







Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thing 16--Teach Digital

WOW, I feel like I have said this before. I know that we need to teach the future, but never realized how much we were not allowing the students to take the opportunity to learn technology.

To me, the first and third videos really said a lot about the fact that we are not allowing the students to grow in the technology age. One comment from "Digital Students at Analog Schools" was that 99% of teachers (teach) the old fashion way. Meaning, we teach the same things that we have taught for years. We need to step out of the box and teach to the students what the future holds. Another thought from the same video clip, was that "lectures limit my learning" and that students need more hands on.

With Sir Ken Robinson, he said that "All kids have tremendous talent and we squander them". This is true, we are not giving the students the opportunity to learn and grow. He gave an example about the parent whom thought their child had ADHD. After the observations and the doctor and mother left the room (with the radio on) the child started dancing. Here is what we do wrong, we think they have a problem sitting still, what we don't see is the possibilities that the student has. This is so true with teaching now days. We don't let the students express their selves in the way that they can.

The students in "No Future Left Behind" summed it up by saying we want no rows and no clocks. Give us the chance to create and share what I have learned. "I know how to memorize, teach me how to think". This is so true, are we really teaching students to think? or are we just having them memorize what we teach so they can "pass the test" and forget it the next day. Students are bored, they need our help, guidance, experience. They want us to step out of the box, the book, the testing and let them express their self. I liked the end where students were saying, "Let me build it. Sing it. Record it. Act it out. Dance it. Analyze it. Sing it. Let me show you what I can really do." As educators, we don't always do this and we need to.

So, what did I really get out of all of these videos? Well, I need to revisit my teaching style. No longer do I want students to just memorize it, but we want them to understand how to "do" it. I want them to express their self. I want them to feel like they have a part in their education, not just have to sit and "listen" to another boring lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment